Do-it-Yourself tips on Air Conditioner Maintenance
Spring is right around the corner!As you’re pulling out the lawn chairs and dusting off the grill, don’t forget to take a few minutes and prepare your air conditioner for the upcoming warm weather too. Here are a few things you can do to get your system ready to run more efficiently. Before doing any maintenance or handling your air conditioner, be sure the power is off!
- Make sure to remove any leaves or vegetation around your air conditioner unit. You don’t want any debris to get pulled into the unit when it’s running. Be sure to check that the fan blades are clean as well.
- When is the last time you changed your filter? Changing the filter on your unit is crucial to keeping your system running efficiently and effectively. Ideally, you should change a standard 1-3″ air filter every 30-60 days. But this depends on how dirty your filter gets and the air pollution around your home. Do you have pets? Allergies? What kind of filter are you using? These are questions to ask when deciding how often to change out the filter, but a good rule of thumb is to change the filter as often as it’s dirty.
- Where is your condensing unit located? A simple solution to improving your ac system’s cooling function would be to ensure the unit is located in the shade. If it’s located in direct sunlight, it might be a good idea to plant a shade tree or bush nearby to increase the efficiency of the unit.
- Do you have upper and lower cold air returns in your house? As the weather gets warmer, close the lower cold air returns and open the upper ones to allow the cold air to drop through the house as the air conditioner runs.
- Give your system a test run before the warm weather hits. This way, you can find any issues early and have them fixed before the summer rush.
- Schedule an Air Conditioner clean & check with a trusted HVAC company in your area. Most companies offer a complete inspection of your air conditioner and all the components to make sure everything is working properly. A small investment in an annual tune-up will be worth it in the long run.
These simple tips take just a little time to do, but will benefit you and your family by keeping your air conditioner system running and peak efficiency and providing the comfort you expect from your system. To schedule a service call or a tune-up in the Clark County area of Wisconsin, you can visit http://accurateairsolutions.com/schedule-a-service.html or call us at 715-267-7800.